List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] Introducing my insignificant self (and some
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-19 3:53:48

On Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2003 19:36, Gregory Scott Bledsoe wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 12:55, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Everyone would have been just fine if Bruce had said he's going to make a
> > debian based distro that uses GNOME. We wouldn't have cared _at_all_
> > about what he wants to do or what he doesn't.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Um, maybe you didn't read the original whitepaper, which made it clear
> this was going to be a mini-distro standardizing on one and only one
> Desktop?  If you did, then you knew it was a fifty-fifty chance yours
> would be the one "left behind," right?  So why all the surprise when the
> decision actually gets made just like it was made clear up front it
> would be?
I still don't get what the Desktop has to do with the toolkits. Just
"standardizing" on the toolkit, even with the argument "oh, just install it
from debian" is the wrong way IMHO to go (and in many other people's view,
too, who thought GNOME was a good idea), because the way to go is integration
and not splitting up into a scheme like "GNOME uses GTK so all apps have to
use GTK" and "KDE uses Qt so all apps have to use Qt". This is bogus. You can
declare one desktop environment to be the default, even choosing xfce would
be ok. But excluding 60 to 80% of all available applications just because the
Windowmanager and the panel uses one particular toolkit ?!? And, you can even
reverse the whole question, if KDE would be the default desktop you would
still include gtk and advertise it as the toolkit you'd use for free (as in
beer) commercial software development.

Ralf