List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] Peter Kruse's Proposal
From:       tackat () t-online ! de (Torsten Rahn)
Date:       2003-12-14 20:06:14

Bruce Perens wrote:

> I still don't have the information I need on how they are doing it
technically,
> in other words how Kolab and Kontact integrate with Exchange.
> Have they reverse-engineered the Exchange wire protocol?

There is no magic necessary. As I already mentioned in my previous posting
(which still seems to be stuck in the mail queue :-( ...)  Microsoft is
using WebDAV for its Exchange Client-Server protocol since Exchange 2k: So
the Exchange Server and the Exchange client communicate via XML. Fortunately
Microsoft documented their WebDAV protocol very well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7BD65D0D-A3A4-41F4-9868-E643F4A030B1&displaylang=en

Therefore it wasn't necessary for the KOLAB / KONTACT guys to
reverse-engineer anything. They "just" implemented Microsoft's documented
WebDAV protocol (which still was a huge amount of work of course).

> Do they provide a MAPI DLL  for the Exchange side? etc.

You don't need that as you can communicate with Exchange 2000 / 2003
natively (this does not apply to the old version Exchange 5.5 of course)
without any changes to the Exchange server . See paragraph above.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn

-------

Torsten Rahn wrote:

The answer which allows for Maximum Freedom and Maximum Cost Reduction for
Enterprise Users is KOLAB / KONTACT:

www.kolab.org

combined with:

http://kontact.kde.org/

This way the corporate customer has the choice between KOLAB / KONTACT as a
completely _free_ and technically highly advanced groupware solution (in
opposite to the proprietary Evolution groupware solution (granted: with the
client as a free beer MTA addition)) and KOLAB / KONTACT _still_ allows for
proprietary as well as free Exchange server integration if this might become
desirable.
KOLAB / KONTACT is (among others) funded and used by the German Government.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn

Perens LLC / 1563 Solano Ave. / PMB 349 / Berkeley CA 94707 / USA