List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] re: the brerating of Bruce
From:       tackat () t-online ! de (Torsten Rahn)
Date:       2003-12-13 19:55:29

> and honesty.  There are maybe 6-10 KDE/QT fans that
> are very vocal, and have said they doubt Bruce...but there
> are as far as I can tell 2-3 times as many that have
> said they support the leadership of Bruce and the

Michael,
Apart from your language which I consider to be rather dismissive you are
wrong with this statement.
As a quick survey of the postings during this month might reveal there were

931 postings in December

131 people participating in the discussion during this month
17 people supported KDE
9 people either supported GNOME as a default in the discussion or they
supported Bruce's proposal altogether
17 people (in addition to the KDE supporters which have already been
mentioned ) opposed Bruce's proposal after it was announced.

So there are actually by far more people on this list in favour of KDE (3:1)
and if you perceive the supporters of Bruce to be 2-3 times as many then
this might be because they are much more vocal.

And apart from that: Do you realize that you are using the same misleading
reasoning as SCO's Darl McBride did ("all the people who have rather kept
silent support our position")?

> carefully read the whitepaper in the beginging.  for
> instance...

If you did read the whitepaper so closely ... and if it was clear to Bruce
from the beginning that Userlinux would be based on Gnome only, then ...

- Why didn't he tell that from the beginning openly? (possible answer: he
tries to gain mindshare at the expense of the success of the KDE project)
- Why does he try to gain mindshare at the expense of KDE by mentioning
successful KDE supporters like Knoppix, Connectiva, Xandros, Lindows etc. as
potential supporters of Userlinux?

Immoral stuff like this only happens if money is in the game. I was used to
see stuff like this in presentations of companies at the Desktop
LinuxConference which tried to promote Gnome by selling almost exclusively
KDE success stories as Gnome ones. But I'm really surprised and disappointed
to see this in an OS project whitepaper.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn