List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] ISV's and Licensing
From:       Bruce Perens <bruce () perens ! com>
Date:       2003-12-12 17:45:00

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:

>If it turns out that the majority of Enterprise applications will be
>KDE/Qt based (like has been repeated over an over here)

I don't think we have any reason to speculate that this will be the
case. We don't have enough enterprise applications to even make up a
valid sample. And I think it will be attractive to many enterprise
applications to use the desktop that is shared between HP and Sun's Unix
workstations and a number of the major Linux distributions.

I think we also need to be real about when you need a developer license.
You can't really get away with not having one when you "only do internal
development", because you can't assure your process will always keep
your application within a single legal entity. There is even question
about whether passing applications to consultants under contract to you
is distribution or not. If you make a mistake in that, the GPL activates
on your application. Most companies with proprietary applications
already want to be very careful about that.

    Thanks

    Bruce