List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Signal 11
From:       Jeff Dike <jdike () karaya ! com>
Date:       2001-07-16 11:26:00

HOFFRICH@de.ibm.com said:
> No, the ethertap module has not dependency on the netlink_dev module,
> at least not on my system, so it gets not loaded if you don't do it
> manually. But the ethertap doesn't work withouth netlink_dev, but this
> behaviour is a bit strange.

So, it doesn't work without netlink, but it doesn't call into netlink or use any
netlink symbols.  Bizarre.

> I'm not sure about module dependencies (I have done no module
> programming yet), are the dependencies only from the symbols and
> resolved by modprobe? Or can you put dependencies in the module-source
> yourself?

The dependencies are on symbols.  When a module has external references, they
have to be resolved either from the kernel proper (i.e. /proc/ksyms) or from
another module (depmod finds these by looking at all the module symbol tables).

modprobe reads the module dependency lists produced by depmod to figure out
what it has to do.

AFAIK, there's no way to manually add dependencies.  Other than adding a call
or symbol reference which will never be used, of course.

				Jeff