List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Properly shutting down a VM, Host resource usage
From:       Tony Su <tonysu () su-networking ! com>
Date:       2013-02-06 3:05:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thx for the interesting idea of mounting a Host mountpoint within a VM.
Might work in special situations but I can immediately anticipate problems
between distros and even distro versions because of

- init scripts may or may not exist
- degree of systemd integration. Something as simple as a systemd shutdown
will point to the shutdown target unit instead of init scripts.
- virtual and actual directories supporting systemd. Although systemd
encourages default locations, it also supports virtual directories if
distros continue to use their own locations. Commands may or may not
describe paths sufficiently.
- Debian uses Upstart which does things its own way, so SysV and systemd
components won't likely work.

Would be so much easier if the fs included a complete set of basic
functionality specific to that fs.

IMO,
TSU