List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [uml-user] Howto install UML for 2.6.8.1-kernel
From:       Blaisorblade <blaisorblade () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-22 16:06:04

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 18:15, George P Boutwell wrote:

> > > Since kernel 2.6.9, UML has been integrated in the vanilla kernel. You
> > > just have to do the steps to compile it described before, has if it
> > > has been patched.

> > But has the latest stable skas and guest code(skas0?) been integrated
> > into the vanilla kernel?

> HOST skas code has been rejected from vanilla kernel (quite a awhile
> ago) and will never make it in there in it's current form (probably
> never, since skas0 seems a promissing alternative).
skas0 cannot currently be as fast as SKAS3. Also, there is an experimental
patch from Ingo Molnar, based on SKAS3 and not rebasable on skas0, which
makes Uml even a lot faster. It's very old code, so there's a lot of work in
making it generally available, but it's still very interesting.

However, if it'll be merged, it will base on the "reorganized" form of SKAS3,
i.e. SKAS4 (but don't hold your breath waiting for it ;-) ).

> The latest skas0
> is still pretty much experimental and is mostly only available form
> Jeff's Incrementals Page
> (http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/patches.html) But I believe
> that the majority of it has been submitted for the -mm tree.  I could
> be wrong.  Just check the lkml archives, and/or the
> user-mode-linux-devel archvives.
You can test skas0 code (the base one, the same which will appear in 2.6.13)
with my skas0 tree, which is a simple backport to 2.6.12.
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)