List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Strearns' root filesystems with other kernels
From:       Blaisorblade <blaisorblade () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-22 15:18:07

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 13:11, Väisänen Teemu wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to use Stearns' root_fs -files with other kernels than
> found from http://www.stearns.org/uml-root/  and/or has someone did
> that?
>
> I have Fedora Core 3, with 2.6.11 SKAS patched host kernel and 2.6.10
> guest kernel.
>
> I am trying to start UML with Stearns' root_fs.2005060501 -root
> filesystem (named as root_fs in my Example 1.) and swap -files with my
> own linux -file. I get:
>
> Example 1.
> # ./linux
>  udba: unknown partition tanle
> Initializing stdio console driver
> -messages.
>
> or
>
> Example 2.
> # ./linux mem=160M ubd0=cow,root_fs.2005060501 ubd1=swap

This one is not needed, and may confuse it:
> root=/dev/ubd/0

> con=pty con0=fd:0,fd:1
>  udba: unknown partition tanle
>  udbb: unknown partition tanle
This is non-significant.
> Initializing stdio console driver
At this point it's redirecting the output of consoles to correct places...
con0=fd:0,fd:1 should make it work (assuming that there are NO spaces).

Have you tried attaching to the pty's, where there are the other consoles?

--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)