List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Guest kernel chews up all CPU on VIA C3 Samuel2 in
From:       Andree Leidenfrost <aleidenf () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2005-04-26 9:54:03

Hi Paolo

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 21:15 +0200, Blaisorblade wrote:
> On Monday 25 April 2005 10:31, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:
> > Hi Paolo
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your response and suggestions! I think the handling of
> > the fpx registers' absence is the key - see attached patch. But please
> > read on...
> >
> > On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 17:12 +0200, Blaisorblade wrote:
> > > On Sunday 24 April 2005 05:20, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:
> > [...]
> > Excellent point! I've done that and am getting this:
> Hmm, what a foolish I am! Luckily I posted the suggestion even if it seemed
> stupid... Uml is full of errors like that, sadly (you don't see them at a
> glance).
>
> I just sent it for merging.

Fabulous! Thanks a lot.

> [...]
> > What I don't understand, though, is why panic didn't just kill the
> > process rather than spinning in some endless loop. Any ideas?
> Not really... panic on a real box *is* a spinning loop, but UML tricks it the
> other way. The two possible problems here are:
>
> 1) The panic text does not go to the console: maybe it's too early, maybe it's
> the console code problems (which I'm already solving, I'm not rushing on them
> since the change is invasive).
> 2) The "tricks" has not been done yet.

I see. Thanks for explaining. (although I suppose it's a bit beyond
me. ;-)

> Actually, the first problem should also affect the printk, but hey, it's a bit
> randomical (the console is not flushed on exit).
> > From what I've read elsewhere, CMOV is not part of Intel's PentiumPro
> > spec although Intel's PentiumPro implements it. So, the Samuel 2 is a
> > true PentiumPro clone according to the specs but not in practice.
> One question: when I'll allow to optimize UML for the processor it runs on
> (like you do in i386 configuration), are you going to test the result? I
> don't think I'll find anybody else with this config...

Sure, if you have anything that you want tested specifically on a VIA C3
Samuel2, just let me know. (The box is going to be my new home
fileserver and firewall - the latter in a UML instance, with disaster
recovery in place the possible downtime if any should be acceptable.)

Best regards
Andree
--
Andree Leidenfrost