List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] (no subject)
From:       BlaisorBlade <blaisorblade_spam () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-10-26 11:54:57

First - don't take discussion on private mail. I want the freedom to leave
questions unanswered (and I do that). And to do that, keep CC'ing the list,
so that other people can answer, too.

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 13:35, Roger.Sala@gd-ais.com wrote:
> Yeah, changing the permissions on the root file system did the trick.  That
> should have been obvious to me.

> If you check out the script below you will see that I am running my guest
> files system and swap on their own partitions.  Is there still an advantage
> to creating a chroot?

Security - a root user inside the UML could happily read everything that the
user running it can read: an hacker can insmod something (even
through /dev/kmem) and, if you're running UML as root, be the absolute master
of your host.

Also, there could be some ways to go on the host even if you are only a normal
user on the UML. Some ones are currently being fixed.

> If so, can you point me to a good how-to?

No idea for that - search the archives or ask "how to chroot UML" with a
meaningful subject (that is not an option if you want to be answered, often).

> I want each guest kernel to carve out its own swap and ram to avoid
> commingling of data between kernels.

> I am prototyping Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS)
> configurations with uml.  Any other tips like above would be appreciated.

> Thanks!

> btw, How are you liking Gentoo?

I love it, but KDE does not work yet for me. It only works as root, not as
user. I got some yet untested clues for that (an uncorrect PATH setting
in .bashrc), but for now I've not yet finished switching to Gentoo.

Apart of that, I'm loving it!
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729