List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Re: AMD 64 bits
From:       Paolo Giarrusso <blaisorblade_personal () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-09-25 17:42:33

On Friday 24 September 2004 21:40, Antoine Martin wrote:
> > I'll would like to know if UML work fine on AMD 64 bits host server?
>
> Short answer: Yes.
>
> It does work fine on Athlon 64s and Opterons, but:
> * The patch only applies to 2.6.4
> the 2.6.4 -> 2.6.5 patch applies cleanly after that but unfortunately it
> does not compile :-(

> I've included the error at the bottom of this email in case someone
> knows what needs to be done to fix it.

> * The host skas patch needs tweaking to compile on x86_64
> (simply add the same headers definitions as for i386)
Hmmm, I would rewrite that sentence as "move every change done in arch/i386
and include/asm-i386 to the matching x86_64 files". Plus some other possible
subleties...

However, if you have an i386 UML binary, you can run it fine on a 64-bit
environment; building a 32-bit UML is difficult because you need to do a
cross-compile, actually, and it needs the i386 host kernel headers, so it's
not at all easy.

> but it still fails with:

> "Checking for the skas4 patch in the host...Unexpected error from
> get_mm() - 14"
> BTW, I thought skas3 was the latest??!

And in fact it is - there is an idea of what SKAS4 will be, and inside the
x86_64 patch there is the most complete implementation of that - but not yet
safe at all, nor stable.

Bye
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade