List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] uml_switch between machines?
From:       BlaisorBlade <blaisorblade_spam () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-08-27 14:33:13

Alle 23:44, giovedě 19 agosto 2004, Taneli Vähäkangas ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't find anything like this anywhere, so I'll ask here (please
> point me to the relevant docs/archives if I overlooked them):
>
> I have two machines A and B, and have normal user access on A and root
> access on B. I'd like to run uml on A since I want to play with file
> systems not installed on it. I also want uml on A to have network
> connectivity. Without root access I can't use tun or tap, but could
> uml_switch be taught to "forward" any network activity to B?

> (Just in case you wonder this is all permitted activity within the
> context of A and B.)

If you don't have root access on the host, you can either ask the
administrator of A to create a TUN/TAP interface at each boot (follow the
instructions on the site), or use slirp, which does not require root access.

uml_switch cannot comunicate even with the host, without a preconfigured tap
interface. If you get the A admin to do the work, then with uml_switch one
TUNTAP interface suffices for everything, while with your UML's in TUN/TAP
mode you need one TUN/TAP interface for each virtual one.

See the "TUN/TAP with a preconfigured tap device" here:
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/networking.html
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729