List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Fine tuning for UML's
From:       s-uml () rhythm ! cx
Date:       2003-12-27 22:47:32

> 1.) For networking I use a bridge, based on David's tutorial. But which
> MAC Address does the eth0 interface inside the UML have? Is this a random
> one? Is it possible to set this address for myself?

I'm not sure how the MAC address is assigned, but I believe you can set it
yourself in the eth0= kernel argument. See the networking docs.

> Wouldn't it be then very simple to "fake" MAC addresses
> in order to pass MAC filter and so on?

I think so. I'm not sure what you could do about that other than using a
different mode of networking and use iptables to filter by interface.

> 2.) Goes *every* traffic through the bridge? (I mean
> broadcasts and similar). Could I configure my UML with
> DHCP when in the other network outside would be a DHCP
> server?
> Could the UML serve a DHCP from inside the machine for
> the whole Ethernet network outside?

Yes yes and yes.

> 3.) Now, I've the following configuration that works:
> I've compiled the driver for hostfs into the uml
> kernel image.
> When I do a
> # mount none /mnt -t hostfs
> then
> I get the error:
> "Child nnnn exited with signal nn"

Not sure about this. Maybe someone else knows.

> 4.) Is the SKAS mode integrated in kernel 2.6.0 stable?
> If not, which patch shall I take? My host system is a "productive"
> system where I do not want to have unstable software. Is the
> patch unstable? What's happening when I apply "an official" patch
> from www.kernel.org to my host sources? Does this work?

I've been running skas3+official 2.4 kernels and haven't had any stability
problems.

> 5.) Is there a really cool way to use the UML as background
> process? When everything is finished, I want to start the UML
> on system bootup. I have set up ssh and the network, therefor
> I do not need a console.
> Things like
> linux &>/dev/null
> or
> linux & 2>/dev/null
> did not work.
> First, I got kernel messages anyway and
> Second, if I closed the shell, the linux process died.
>
> Are there "elegant" ways to handle this?

You can start the uml within screen as Ali Cambell mentioned. If you want it
to work like you are trying above, start uml like

	linux con0=null > /dev/null &

That will silence it completely and uml won't exit when you close the
terminal.

-Steve