List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] UML Management
From:       Marc Schoechlin <ms () LF ! net>
Date:       2003-09-24 15:32:25

Hi !

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:58:14PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:

> ms-uml@bart.LF.net said:
> > Therefore I'm searching for a software-solutions which
> > make it easy:
> >
> >    - to get access to consoles of a certain server-machin
> >    - to start, run and stop uml_switches automatically
> >    - to watch the traffic passing over a uml-switch
> >    - to get the configuration of uml-systems from
> >      a config-file
> >    - to start, stop and restart uml-systems from
> >      the hosting machine with a single command
> >    - automatically mounting a hostfs to a uml-system
>
> You might start with David Coulson's UMLd (search on usermodelinux.org for
> a release announcement).  I think it does a lot of that now.
>
> > Maybe I can help with the implementation :-)
>
> Help would probably be appreciated...

Thanks for your help this was a good hint :-))

Now I did the following:

   --
   export UMLHOST=testuml
   screen -S $UMLHOST -d -m linux con1=pts con2=pts umid=$UMLHOST

   uml_mconsole $UMLHOST config con1

   screen /dev/pts/<pts-nummer>
   --

With "screen -x $UMLHOST" you can watch the messages of the uml-system

Maybe it would be a good idea to add a function to the uml-console, which
makes it possible to connect directly to the pts-device with "screen"?

Best regards

Marc Schoechlin
--

GRUSS / Best regards  |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-413
Marc Schoechlin       |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33