List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Compiling and loading modules into the UML kernel
From:       Joao <joao () teaser ! fr>
Date:       2003-08-27 19:15:01

Tobias Poschwatta <tp@fonz.de> writes:

Ok, now it works !!

> you're missing the obj-y line!
> everything in the makefiles i sent is needed.
>
> O_TARGET gets the name of the output file (kernel module).
> obj-y gets the names of the C source files (but with .o extension)
>
> i guess you have a file jmod.c and want a kernel module jmod.o ?
> rename jmod.c to jmod_main.c and change your makefile:

Yep, that missing obj-y line was the problem. You see, in your example
you had two different source files there, so I must have figured that
this was one of those rules to build one object file out of several...
Because I did try obj-y = jmod.o (same as obj-m), but that didn't work.

Tobias, I must really thank you, for your help and patience. Thanks to
you, I can now write modules that freeze and crash the kernel, without
having to wait for my hardware to boot up again. Bliss.

Thanks again,
Joao