List:       user-mode-linux-user
Subject:    Re: [uml-user] Anyone maxing out PTYs?
From:       Cameron Kerr <cameron.kerr () paradise ! net ! nz>
Date:       2002-11-26 5:01:15

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:25:45PM -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz said:
> > Hello, I've done a quick calc^H^H^H^Hestimation of how many PTYs my
> > UML server may require, and it turns out to be approx 4000 (with
> > generous figures, I can pare it down), which is significantly larger
> > than the maximum of 2048 configurable in the kernel source.
>
> What exactly are you doing?

University paper in Network Management. Each student (hopefully max
class size will be 15) will manage a virtual network each. Each virtual
network will have about 6 (max) nodes, but I'll try to chop this to 3
max by combining some services on the same virtual machine. Each virtual
network has a virtual (daemon) switch.

Each virtual machine has one window/screen for the console messages, and
three (I reduced them from the usual 6) TTYs.

So, at max, 15 students * ( ( 3 TTYs + 1 console ) * 5 machines + 1
switch ) = 315

Hmmmm, I think I've goofed somewhere. This isn't even close to 4000.

Never mind.

--
Cameron Kerr
Email:   cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz