List:       user-mode-linux-devel
Subject:    Re: [uml-devel] (no subject)
From:       BlaisorBlade <blaisorblade_spam () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-09-29 17:33:48

On Monday 27 September 2004 11:20, Stroesser, Bodo wrote:
> On Saturday 25 September 2004 21:35, BlaisorBlade wrote:
> > This particular part is Ok, but could you, please, avoid trumpling
>
> over and removing the sysemu code? It's absolutely not needed.
>
> > If you enclose the last two ptrace calls in "if (!use_sysemu)" and you
>
> move the "handle_syscall" after them, you get your fix + no change for
> sysemu.
> Sorry. I didn't intend to break sysemu! Did I miss something or does it
> come from my confusing mail format?
> Here is the code of handle_trap() after applying the patch:
Ah, ok. Please accept my excuses, I didn't read well the patch (was I too
tired?). However ok, it is correct, and the code is written this way in
2.6.9-rc2, in fact, as with the original sysemu patch - the problem was in
some little changes done by Jeff in his tree.

> > A side note: posting HTML messages is bad (on LKML it is enough to be
>
> totally & completely ignored, I guess); and the above is what the inline
> patch becomes while answering to an HTML message - could you please
> either send plain-text or move the patches to attachments (I strongly
> prefer the first solution)?

> OK. Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I'm missing experience in
> writing to mailing lists. And I have to do it with our companies Outlook
> client...
> In the meantime I found a switch to modify the settings to "text only".
> Hope it's better now?

Ok, that's perfect!
If you want to get advices on such questions, you may want to take a look at
the LKML FAQ:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/
(The only important question I remember is "when/why to send the patch
inline/attached/send an URL from the Web").

And these two documents about patch submission format:

http://linux.yyz.us/patch-format.html
http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/tpp.txt
(Note: when you find differences, do whatever you prefer; inserting the kernel
version is a good idea, like the 1st doc says).

Bye
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade
Linux registered user n. 292729