List:       user-mode-linux-devel
Subject:    [uml-devel] Problems debugging a UML kernel
From:       Alex deVries <alex () onefishtwo ! ca>
Date:       2004-09-22 14:12:50

UML has really helped me with some kernel module debugging in the past,
but I'm having a problem getting it running in a new environment.

I'm having a problem where I can't seem to get into an interactive debug
mode with a UML kernel.

In one window, I'm running:

gdb linux-2.4.26/linux

which prints out:

[root@cubalibre uml]# GNU gdb 6.2
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

In another window, I run:
linux-2.4.26/linux debug gdb-pid=<pid of gdb> ubd0=fedora

At this point, UML starts up and prints out:

Checking for the skas3 patch in the host...not found
Checking for /proc/mm...not found
tracing thread pid = 14094

Then, if I type 'att 1' in the gdb window, it prints out:

(gdb) Attaching to program: linux-2.4.26/linux, process 1

And then just stops.  I never end up in the interactive debugging mode
I've seen before.  If I hit ^c, gdb gives me:

0xa015f2f1 in kill () at string.h:486
486                     case 1: COMMON("\n\tstosb"); return s;
(gdb) Quit
(gdb)

but I can never actually run the kernel within the debugger.

My host is Fedora Core 2, running a custom built 2.6.7 kernel.  I'm
using a custom-built gdb version 6.2, although I see the same behaviour
with my distribution's gdb (version 6.0post-0.20040223.19rh)

My uml host kernel is 2.6.7, patched with uml-2.6.7-2.  I have
CONFIG_PT_PROXY, TT and SKAS mode enabled.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Alex