List:       user-mode-linux-devel
Subject:    RE: [uml-devel] Prior problem solved regarding building 2.4.20-6
From:       William Stearns <wstearns () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-07-14 4:22:39

Good evening, Gregg,

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Actually that was my term for the command line launcher that we both
> use. I needed to think of a term, and darned quick while writing that
> one, and the fact that we still use the "boot" term, when starting
> computers these days, so I chose that one.
>
> I, too, use the command line, "linux" command that is created. For my

	I got a little tired of typing somewhat long command lines, so as
part of setting up Zaphod (
http://www.stearns.org/slartibartfast/uml-coop.current.html ) I wrote a
SysV style start and stop script:
http://www.stearns.org/slartibartfast/uml_go
	Is this the kind of thing of which you were thinking?

> work on that same idea, as yourself. Oh, and a good evening to
> yourself, as well.

	/me tips hat. :-)
	Cheers,
	- Bill

> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> >
> > > Now the other question. Is the group interested in a 2.4.20-6 based
> > > User-Mode-Linux booter? And wrapped in a Slackware Package? Of
> > > course I can't supply a deadline.
> >
> > 	Interesting.  I'm used to starting UML kernels from the command
> > line.  What features would a UML booter have that the current loading
> > method doesn't?

        "The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a
safe, and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and
i'm not even too sure about that one."
        -- Dennis Huges, FBI.
(Courtesy of Tony Hoyle <tmh@magenta-netlogic.com>)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,