List:       user-mode-linux-devel
Subject:    [uml-devel] User-mode Linux Management
From:       David Coulson <david () davidcoulson ! net>
Date:       2002-10-13 23:22:30

I've been working on a daemon to manage my UML network, so rather than
having a collection of ugly scripts, I now have a single ugly script -
Apparently that is supposed to make my life easier.

I've written a very simple and generally useless client, but it does at
least show some of what it can do. The client can be found at:

http://uml.openconsultancy.com/umld.php

In essence, the daemon has a MySQL backend, which stores the
configuration information for each UML - How much RAM, which uid it runs
as, how many CPUs it has and so forth. One can connect to the daemon
and, upon appropriate authentication, perform functions on the UML, such
as rebooting, shutting down, bringing up or changing the UML's
configuration. It's more a proof of concept, rather than a serious
application at the moment - It's written in PHP, and isn't particularly
clean. It does, however, work quite well and all of my UMLs appear to
work just as well as the did prior to using the daemon. A number of
users on my UML network have indicated that they would like an easy way
to reboot their UML if they make a mess of iptables, or accidently drop
a network interface, and it's very simple to do this via the daemon,
even if they have no direct access to the host machine.

I've also updated my UML paper quite significantly since I posted the
link around a week ago. If anyone is interested, they can find it at:

http://uml.openconsultancy.com/

David

--
David Coulson                                  http://davidcoulson.net/