List:       user-mode-linux-devel
Subject:    Re: [uml-devel] User-Mode -> Windows
From:       Dan Aloni <karrde () callisto ! yi ! org>
Date:       2001-09-22 13:05:54

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, John Zedlewski wrote:

> Hey folks,
>   I've been tracking User-Mode Linux for a while now, and I'm really
> interested in doing the port to Windows, if that's all right with you
> all. Specifically, I have to do a year long thesis as a computer science
> major at Princeton, and I've found an advisor willing to support the
> UML-Win port. The good part is that, well, I can't graduate if I don't
> accomplish something, so you don't have to worry about my giving up on
> the project. I'm hoping to maintain page for the project at
> http://www.princerton.edu/~zedlwski/umlwin/, but it's pretty weak right
> now.

Good luck.

I've been trying to do that last December and I hope you'll have more luck
than me. I can give you a few starting points about tackling the kernel
on Cygwin:

 * The build process must not use any relocateble object files. It
   took me a while to understand the reason why binutils choked and
   crashed here, and it is apparently bugs in that ported Cygwin package.
 * Be ready to edit lots of incompatible inline assembly code, that
   caused the kernel not to compile or to crashed it. You may need to
   rewrite that assembly macros into pure C code.
 * Either decide between using Cygwin's entirely or use the Win32 API
   alone. I advice the latter. Mixing them is not a good idea.

Here is a piece of history:

Linux version 2.4.0-test12-1um (administrator@xena) (gcc version 2.95.2-5
19991024 (cygwin experimental)) #159 Sat Dec 9 21:43:37 2000
On node 0 totalpages: 4096
zone(0): 0 pages.
zone(1): 4096 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ubd0

Hmmm, I recall I also reached a stage where the slab caches were initialized,
it was quite beautiful.

--
Dan Aloni
karrde@callisto.yi.org