List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Compiling HEAD
From:       Russel Winder <russel () russel ! org ! uk>
Date:       2011-01-16 16:30:40

Benjamin,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 10:47 -0500, Benjamin C. Pierce wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Sounds like Bazaar is doing something funny to the revision-number string.  The \
> critical bit at the end of the file (mkProjectInfo.ml) should look something like \
> this:

Bazaar has actually done the correct thing, however, . . .

> let revisionString = "$Rev: 471 $";;
>
> let pointVersion =
> Scanf.sscanf revisionString "$Rev: %d " (fun x -> x) - pointVersionOrigin;;

I have:

                let revisionString = "$Rev$";;

                let pointVersion =
                  Scanf.sscanf revisionString "$Rev: %d " (fun x -> x) - \
pointVersionOrigin;;
Bazaar, Mercurial and Git can all be used as Subversion clients (using
bzr-svn, hgsubversion, git-svn respectively) but none of them will do
$Rev$ processing as Subversion does -- mostly because Subversion is a
centralized version control system (CVCS) where a global revision number
has meaning whereas global revision numbers are a meaningless concept in
distributed version control (DVCS).

I think this Subversion revision number processing is a (relatively) new
thing (looks like it was always there, but it just got fixed in 2010-06
-- which shows I haven't recompiled since then) in the Unison source as
I have always used Bazaar as my Subversion client.  Is it actually
necessary to have the Subversion revision string encoded in the
executable?

I really don't want to have to use Subversion as a client as it means I
cannot keep variant version.  DVCS makes branch and merge trivial, so
keeping vendor branches and feature branches is straightforward.
Subversion makes this more or less impossible.  Currently I am keeping a
fork of the Subversion trunk with all the changes I have found necessary
to make it compilable for Mac OS X.  Of course it may be that my
amendments are now redundant.

Debian/Ubuntu has always compiled "out of the box" for me.  Mac OS X has
always required me to make a few edits tot some of the Xcode project
fiels and to replace the Growl Framework with version 1.2.1.

Thanks.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@russel.org.uk