List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Re: Syncing / Ignoring
From:       LogicDaemon <logicdaemon () mobilmir ! ru>
Date:       2008-06-17 9:21:26

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:35:25 +0400, john espiro <john_espiro@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I apologize... I have updated the target folders below...
>

> I am syncing the following paths:
>
> Source: S:\
> - S:\Folder1
> - S:\Folder2
> - S:\Folder3\Folder4
> - S:\Folder6\Folder2
>
> Target: T:\MyBackup\ (not T:\)
> - T:\MyBackup\Folder5
>
> Prefs file looks like this:
>
> path = Folder1
> path = Folder2
> path = Folder3
> path = Folder6
> ignore = Path \Folder5
>
> At the end I am looking for this:
>
> T:\MyBackup\Folder1
> T:\MyBackup\Folder2
> T:\MyBackup\Folder3\Folder4
> T:\MyBackup\Folder5
> T:\MyBackup\Folder6\Folder2
>
> My questions:
> - I am syncing where Source (S:) is forcing in the direction of Target (T:).  Given \
> that \Folder5 exists only on the Target, will it remain on the target after the \
> sync give my "ignore = Path \Folder5" line in prefs?

yep, it will remain.

> - If I want to sync: "S:\Folder6\" but not "S:\Folder6\Folder2", what does my \
> ignore path line need to look like?  is this correct: "ignore = Path \
> \Folder6\Folder2" or do I leave off the first slash?

Path is always anchored to root, e.g. you do not need to specify first slash.

> - If I am syncing on Windows, do the direction of the slashes matter?
There is note in the manual that roots formatted in platform native form and all \
other paths are in "portable" form (slash "/" as splitter). However sometimes (not \
sure about when precicely) backslashes "\" works in non-root paths.

from http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/stable/unison-manual.html#pathspec:
 The path separator in path patterns is always the forward-slash character “/” — even \
when the client or server is running under Windows, where the normal separator \
character is a backslash. This makes it possible to use the same set of path patterns \
for both Unix and Windows file systems.

Again: in Windows, split root components by "\" but other paths (path, ignore=Path, \
etc.) by "/".

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: