List:       unison-users
Subject:    [unison-users] working with long paths
From:       Hari Krishna Dara <haridara () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-24 19:35:32

I just found out that unison fails with paths that are too long on
windows 2000 (native binary). I searched in the mail archive and found
the following which is almost the same as what I am facing:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=unison-users&m=107097492107397&w=2

As stated in that thread, it is not the windows itself that it hitting
on this limit here (as a proof, the origin of the file itself is
windows 2000), but I think unison/ocaml is not using the right windows
API. I tried different tools with this file and had varying degree of
success.
- When I tried rsync, it told me that the filename is too long and so
is skipping. Must be a problem with cygwin.
- When I opened up two windows explorers and tried to copy the file
over the network, sadly it gave me the same error message (that the
fiename is too long).
- I was able to successfully create a zip archive using winzip while
preserving the path, copy the zip over and expand it successfully.
- I also tried mounting the directory on cygwin and accessing the
file, but that also gives the same error.

So the only tool that worked is winzip (out of the ones I tried). I
don't know if it is because it uses the right API or it is because it
is only working with one directory/file level instead of the entire
path. Now what I am wondering is why unison/ocaml can't workaround
this problem when winzip could. Does anyone has an explanation for
this?

Thank you,
Hari

Yahoo! Groups Links