List:       unison-users
Subject:    [unison-users] Destination updated during synchronization?
From:       Adriaan Joubert <a.joubert () albourne ! com>
Date:       2004-12-31 7:36:56

Hi,

    I'm syncing several file systems between offices in Europe and the
US and on the whole things work fine. Thanks for a great system!

Unfortunately I get a few occurences every day of

Failed with exception Util.Transient("Destination updated during synchronization")

Invariably the file has not really been updated at all. Sometimes this will turn out \
to be a transient error, but most of the time this error can only be resolved by \
deleting the copy in the destination folder, and resolving the resulting conflict by \
hand. A tad tedious.

I'm running unison version 2.9.1. The main server (from which all the unisons are run \
from cron) is an Alpha running OSF 4.0G, with a hand-compiled unison. The other \
servers are all linux boxes running the Debian package.

I had noticed that I could not sync from the Debian machines to the Alpha, and \
concluded that this was a 64 bit issue. As everything has been working the other way \
round I have not bothered looking into this any further - especially as the Alpha \
will be retired in the next few months. I do wonder whether the problems I am seeing \
may be related though.

The other possible reason is that these are mostly largish files (>10MB) and we do \
not have great network links between the various offices. Could that have something \
to do with it?

What I would like to know is:

- has anybody else seen such problems and managed to resolve them?
- how can I get more information out of unison to find out what is really going on - \
considering that the files were not updated?

Thanks for any help and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Adriaan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/26EolB/TM