List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Re: Backup parameter and versioning
From:       Benjamin Pierce <bcpierce () cis ! upenn ! edu>
Date:       2004-12-13 14:59:29

> Longer term: it would be nice to unify the two backup options so
> that it is a single option with a separate option to determine where
> the files go -- with the originals or in a special backup dir.
> Personally, I like the behavior that I gave to the backupS option
> and would like it mirrored for the backup option.  The current
> documentation is also confusing because it is not always clear if
> the documentation is referring backup, backups, or both.  If the
> same behavior were used regardless of where the backup files went,
> then things would be less confusing.

I agree with this -- the original intention was that the newer "everything
in one place" backup system replace the older "in the same directory"
backups.  But some people (including me!) found that having backups together
with the main files was much more convenient and did not want to move to the
new functionality, so the old version has persisted in parallel.

It would be much better to unify the two sets of functionality, so that
different concerns (which directory the backups live in (and on which host),
how many of them are kept and how old they are allowed to get, how we find
specific backup versions for use as the 'last common version' during
merging, etc.)  are treated orthogonally.

    - Benjamin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/26EolB/TM