List:       unison-users
Subject:    Re: [unison-users] Unison and Putty
From:       Louise Pryor <lists () louisepryor ! com>
Date:       2004-02-11 16:37:25

That's similar to the way I do it...

I use a unison profile with the following entries:
sshcmd = <path to batch file>\sync.batch.launcher.bat
root = ssh://<session name>/<path to synchronize>

The bat file itself contains
@"C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe" -ssh -P 22 %4 %5 me@mydomain.com unison -server

I save a session in putty whose name goes in the <session name> slot in the
root entry in the unison profile. That saved session includes the login
name. And I authenticate via ssh certificates stored in Pageant.

It works well.

Best wishes

Louise
--
Louise Pryor
http://www.louisepryor.com   software risk consultant

On Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 3:51:24 PM, Mike Iles wrote:

MI> I'm new to unison and I've just got it set up between my Debian Linux
MI> server and a number of Win2k clients. I use putty to access the server
MI> and this caused a few headaches so I wanted to document my experience
MI> for the benefit of others.

MI> I'm using the stable unison, 2.9.1.

MI> The basic problem is that plink (putty's command-line equivalent to ssh)
MI> isn't a drop-in replacement for plink. I first tried the obvious
MI> approach of passing "-sshcmd plink" to unison but this didn't work
MI> because plink didn't understand the "-e none" argument that unison
MI> insisted on passing to it. (This argument instructs ssh not to recognize
MI> any escape characters.) I eventually decided to wrap plink in a script
MI> so I could ignore the arguments passed, and this appears to work fine.

MI> Here's the unison command:

MI>   unison -sshcmd c:\mike\bin\unison-launcher.cmd c:\Mike
MI> ssh://ignored/mirror -batch

MI> The script unison-launcher.cmd contains:

MI>   @plink mike@mist unison -server

MI> This synchronizes the local c:\Mike directory with the ~mike/mirror
MI> directory on server mist. (I have ssh certificates installed and am
MI> using pageant to automatically authenticate.) Note that all arguments to
MI> the sshcmd are ignored, including the user and server.

MI> Does this setup seem reasonable to people? The use of a script to wrap
MI> plink could be avoided if unison allowed me to have more control over
MI> the arguments that it passes to the sshcmd.

MI> Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links