List:       unison-hackers
Subject:    Re: [unison-hackers] ouch
From:       "Benjamin C. Pierce" <bcpierce () cis ! upenn ! edu>
Date:       2003-08-28 4:44:13

> I ran unison to synchronize with a directory that was empty (i wanted
> it to copy my homedir to the empty directory), but all it did was
> delete my homedir because the other directory was empty.
>
> My default profile only had the 2 directories in it. No options or
> ignore paths.
>
> I ran:
>
> $unison default -auto -silent

Ouch is right!  I would be very interested to know how this happened.

Can you give any more details about what happened?  In particular, had these
roots ever been synchronized before?  (I.e., is it possible that there was
an archive lying around that showed the now-empty directory as having
existed before?)  Is the behavior (or something analogous not involving your
home directory :-) repeatable?  If so, can you try it without the -silent
option and with '-debug all' instead?

     - Benjamin

BENJAMIN C. PIERCE, Professor
Dept. of Computer & Information Science                bcpierce@cis.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania                                    +1 215 898-2012
3330 Walnut St.                                          Fax: +1 215 898-0587
Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA                http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce

Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. \
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511 \
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/26EolB/TM