List:       unisog
Subject:    [unisog] unisog Digest, Vol 26, Issue 2
From:       michael.holstein () csuohio ! edu (Michael Holstein)
Date:       2006-05-02 16:44:49

> "7. If practical, "softphone" systems, which implement VOIP using an
> ordinary PC with a headset and special software, should not be used
> where security or privacy are a concern."

That's because it's trivial to intercept VoIP and replay it later,
whereas on a modern (eg: anything but AMPS) cellular network, it
requires a lot more work (but is still far from impossible).

I've always told people "never say anything on a wireless phone that you
wouldn't say in a crowded resturant", and until we implement
handset-to-handset encryption (without any key-escrow B.S, and with
published code), that'll hold true.

/mike.

PS: I miss the days of the OKI900 and EEPROM burner :)