List:       ulogd
Subject:    Re: [ulogd] "RFC" - ULOGd module for IP streams tracking
From:       Harald Welte <laforge () gnumonks ! org>
Date:       2003-10-19 21:45:49

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 11:44:03AM -0500, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> When I came across the ulogd suite I imidiately came up with the idea for traffic \
> accounting by stream analyzing. Something like what IPTraf is doing  but on a \
> larger scale. I first thought that it will be possible to store ALL traffic in \
> mysql and then analyze it. I quickly realized this is not  feasible on a fast \
> network - the database grows almost geometrically.  On the other hand I am not that \
> much of programmer, actually I don't know any C/C++, and I am seeking your advice \
> on sanity and possibility of

are you aware of what netflow logs are?  If yes, I'd suggest to read the
netfilter-devel archives with regard to my proposed conntrack /
ctnetlink / event-api  design on getting packet/byte count per
connection to userspace.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org>               http://www.gnumonks.org/