List:       ulogd
Subject:    Re: [ulogd] Logging both to a file AND to the console
From:       Harald Welte <laforge () gnumonks ! org>
Date:       2003-08-30 18:27:39

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 06:15:35PM +0200, Al wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just started to use ulogd which I find great. However I'd like to log
> both to a file AND to the console. I'm using ulogd_LOGEMU.so which works
> great to a file, but don't know how to send messages to my console too.

logging to the console is achieved _within_ the kernel's syslog/klog
dmesg buffer functionality.

ULOG/ulogd does not use the syslog mechanism at all, so there is no way
to have the kernel print the log messages to the console.

However, one could probably write a ulogd_LOGEMU like plugin that would
open /dev/console from usserspace and write to it.

I think most people are happy that their console is _not_ cluttered with
firewall logs.

> Is it possible ?

why would you want to do it?  Is it because you want to have a serial
console and log it on a different box (in case an attacker gains access
to your firewall and wants to manipulate the logs?)

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org>               http://www.gnumonks.org/