List:       uddi4j-general
Subject:    Re: [Uddi4j-general] UDDI v3 support
From:       Andrew Hately <hately () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-02-22 15:35:01

--=_alternative 00559A3B86256FB0_=

The WSDL and XML Schema files for UDDI Version 3 allowed for
straightforward generation of a client using existing WSDL to Java tooling
based on the JAX-RPC technology.  Since this makes for a UDDI Java client
data model that is consistent with other Web service Java client data
models, it was more desirable to adopt the JAX-RPC generated client model.

There is an OASIS UDDI Specification Commitee Technical note describing
the client programming model that is recommended for Java clients for UDDI
V3.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/tn/uddi-spec-tc-tn-jax-rpc.htm

The result of this approach is that UDDI Version 3 clients built from
JAX-RPC will have both a consistent programming model and will allow
client code to use all of the other Web service features of the JAX-RPC
Web service runtime going forward.  This programming model is derived
purely from open standards and standard Java methodologies.  The only
thing that has to be specified with this approach to acheive the same
classes for each Web service runtime are the package naming conventions
listed in section 2.2.  The rest of that document describes
simplifications that may need to be made to the WSDL/XSD depending on the
WSDL to Java tooling that is provided with the Web service
tooling/runtime.  There is also sample output in section 2.2.4 that
demonstrate the form of the API and data model classes.

Regards,

Andrew Hately
IBM Software Group, Emerging Technologies
email: hately@us.ibm.com

Vivek Chopra <vivekchopra@yahoo.com>
Sent by: uddi4j-general-admin@www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com
02/14/2005 11:48 AM

Alex Holmes <icepickorama@yahoo.com>, Katharine Jagger
<kjagger@hursley.ibm.com>, uddi4j-general@www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com
cc

Subject
Re: [Uddi4j-general] UDDI v3 support

I agree. If lack of resources at IBM is an issue, I'm
sure other developers can pick up the slack.

I worked on the uddi4j v2 development, and am willing
to volunteer my time for v3.

- Vivek

--- Alex Holmes <icepickorama@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Katherine,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  Would you mind my asking why
> there are
> no plans for a v3 version of UDDI4J?  It is a very
> popular client
> presently, but will certainly become less so if v3
> support isn't
> added.  If it is due to a lack of help on the
> implementation
> front, I'm sure there are others (myself included)
> who would be
> happy to contribute.
>
> Thanks again,
> Alex
>
> --- Katharine Jagger <kjagger@hursley.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex
> >
> > There are no plans to support UDDI v3 in UDDI4J,
> however IBM does
> > provide
> > the "IBM UDDI Version 3 Client" for Java (a
> JAX-RPC Java class library
> > for
> > UDDI v3) with IBM WebSphere Application Server
> version 6.0.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Katharine Jagger.

WSDL to Java tooling based on the JAX-RPC technology. &nbsp;Since this
makes for a UDDI Java client data model that is consistent with other Web
service Java client data models, it was more desirable to adopt the JAX-RPC
generated client model.</font>
Commitee Technical note describing the client programming model that is
recommended for Java clients for UDDI V3.</font>
UDDI Version 3 clients built from JAX-RPC will have both a consistent programming
model and will allow client code to use all of the other Web service features
of the JAX-RPC Web service runtime going forward. &nbsp;This programming
model is derived purely from open standards and standard Java methodologies.
&nbsp;The only thing that has to be specified with this approach to acheive
the same classes for each Web service runtime are the package naming conventions
listed in section 2.2. &nbsp;The rest of that document describes simplifications
that may need to be made to the WSDL/XSD depending on the WSDL to Java
tooling that is provided with the Web service tooling/runtime. &nbsp;There
is also sample output in section 2.2.4 that demonstrate the form of the
API and data model classes.</font>
Andrew Hately<br>
IBM Software Group, Emerging Technologies <br>
email: hately@us.ibm.com<br>
&lt;vivekchopra@yahoo.com&gt;</b> </font>
uddi4j-general-admin@www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com</font> <p><font size=1 \
face="sans-serif">02/14/2005 11:48 AM</font> <td width=59%>
&lt;icepickorama@yahoo.com&gt;, Katharine Jagger &lt;kjagger@hursley.ibm.com&gt;, \
uddi4j-general@www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com</font> <tr>
v3 support</font></table>
I'm<br>
sure other developers can pick up the slack.<br>
I worked on the uddi4j v2 development, and am willing<br>
to volunteer my time for v3.<br>
- Vivek<br>
--- Alex Holmes &lt;icepickorama@yahoo.com&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi Katherine,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks for your reply. &nbsp;Would you mind my asking why<br>
&gt; there are<br>
&gt; no plans for a v3 version of UDDI4J? &nbsp;It is a very<br>
&gt; popular client <br>
&gt; presently, but will certainly become less so if v3<br>
&gt; support isn't <br>
&gt; added. &nbsp;If it is due to a lack of help on the<br>
&gt; implementation <br>
&gt; front, I'm sure there are others (myself included)<br>
&gt; who would be<br>
&gt; happy to contribute.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks again,<br>
&gt; Alex<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; --- Katharine Jagger &lt;kjagger@hursley.ibm.com&gt;<br>
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Hi Alex<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; There are no plans to support UDDI v3 in UDDI4J,<br>
&gt; however IBM does<br>
&gt; &gt; provide<br>
&gt; &gt; the &quot;IBM UDDI Version 3 Client&quot; for Java (a<br>
&gt; JAX-RPC Java class library<br>
&gt; &gt; for<br>
&gt; &gt; UDDI v3) with IBM WebSphere Application Server<br>
&gt; version 6.0.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Kind regards,<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Katharine Jagger.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; ----- Original Message ----- <br>
&gt; &gt; From: &quot;Alex Holmes&quot; &lt;icepickorama@yahoo.com&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; To: &lt;uddi4j-general@www-124.southbury.usf.ibm.com&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:22 AM<br>
&gt; &gt; Subject: [Uddi4j-general] UDDI v3 support<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Is there any plan to support the UDDI v3 API's? <br>
&gt; Now that<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; the v3 spec has been ratified it would be useful<br>
&gt; to have<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; a v3 version.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Thanks in advance,<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Alex<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Uddi4j-general mailing list<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Uddi4j-general@www-124.ibm.com<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;<br>