List:       uddi4j-general
Subject:    Re: [Uddi4j-general] UDDI4J Open source?
From:       "John Feller" <fellerj () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-09-05 1:49:33

Phan,
     UDDI4J is open-sourced.   You can view all the source in the CVS
library and the IBM Public License is distributed with it.   The IBM public
license has been approved by the Open Source Initiative (
http://www.opensource.org/ ).   I'm no lawyer, but many people have
commented on how "generous" the IBM Public License is for the software.
Finally, Apache is a great organization and IBM fully supports many of the
projects hosted by that organization.   However to be open sourced, a
project does not have to reside on Apache.   Linux is not hosted by Apache.
Sorceforge.net  hosts many open source projects as well.
     UDDI4J has no intention of being "closed".  We intended to keep UDDI4J
open to promote interoperability among various UDDI client programs.   We
appreciate your interest in UDDI4J and we want to continue to solicit
comments and enhancement suggestions from numerous people.   As stated by
an early mailing list posting (Feb 26, 2001), the UDDI4J follows the Apache
group process described at http://xml.apache.org/guidelines.html".  People
who are active with the UDDI4J project by submiting several enhancements
can become commiters to the UDDI4J project.   We are happy to see this
project getting interest from a wide community of developers from various
organizations.

John Feller
fellerj@us.ibm.com

"Phan Vuhuy N." <PhanVN@mitre.org>@www-126.southbury.usf.ibm.com on