List:       ucsimm
Subject:    Re: [uCsimm] miniLinux and Announcing an Industrial I/O board foruCsimm
From:       "Sam Saprunoff" <sams2 () telusplanet ! net>
Date:       2000-02-24 16:13:16

Thanks Tom for the correct interpretation of my sentence!

In regards to the term Industrial Grade, it was intended to be of an Industrial \
strength or features.  I, by no means, intended it to be interpreted as having full \
Industrial temperature rating.  However, why I say Industrial Strength (grade, type, \
etc) is:

    1. It is not a commercial unit.  The components used are of higher strength, \
durability, and/or greater temperature ranges (High quality, high insertion cycle \
connectors, etc).  The components selected are not necessarily based upon the least \
expensive part for the job (i.e. lowest production cost was not my greatest \
concern... high reliability, ease and bullet-proof of installation, etc are my \
issues)

    2. Since this device is to be used in a electrical "dirty" environment, the Vin \
section has additional protection circuitry to minimize problems.  The exact \
environment is a large(36 floor) commercial office tower.  This electrical "dirty" \
environment can (and usually does) carry over to the input section, the opto-inputs \
use a current-loop interface to minimize the effects of induced by this noise, etc.  \
Hence, I can have longer cable runs, and less false alarms (none... hooray).

    3. The device was designed for a specific application and for backward \
compatibility (where the uCsimm is not currently used).  Thus, the temperature range \
of the uCsimm was not an issue.  The device is a slave to a Host system which \
controls a variety of devices within this building.  Since I was "spinning" a PCB for \
this application, I thought that I could have some fun by adding the uCsimm and other \
interfaces so as to maximize the use of the board.

    4. As for temperature range... The device should be able to operate from -20C to \
+85C in its intended application (no uCsimm, etc).  In the this building control \
application, the temperature range is really +15C to +30C approx., so even the uCsimm \
could be used to control this device!

    5. As for temperature test results, I have access to a temperature chamber (for \
free... it's nice to have friends that have nice equipment) should I feel the need to \
qualify the temperature extremes.

One could qualify the uCsimm for its temperature extremes, but as Sergei  pointed out \
the '328 is only rated between 0C to +70C.  Thus, trying to push those limits would \
not be a choice that I would make.

Anyway, I hope this clarifies my previous post and I apologize for any \
misinterpretations.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam Saprunoff