List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] USB relay
From:       Bou <mpourtou () ceid ! upatras ! gr>
Date:       2008-06-26 10:28:36

Remco Poelstra wrote:

>>> Its not mandatory that the platform can access the USB device at the
>>> same time. I can even have 2 different firmwares, one for normal
>>> use(ttyUSBx) and another as a Linux Hub. How can I make mt platform
>>> behave like a usb hub? (I have no experience in USB, any hints are
>>> welcomed).
>> To me this seems like a very dangerous thing. The PC software will
>> assume that the data on the memory stick is unchanged unless it is
>> plugged out and re-discovered. So if your device works as a hub and
>> under the covers accesses the memory stick, the PC will easily fail
>> or corrupt the data on the stick.
>
> Seems that Dimitris only wants one of the two options: Either a very
> expensive memory stick or a device running linux with some added flash
> memory. In that case the problem you mentioned doesn't exist,
> otherwise I also doubt that it's going to work.
> Of course the "expensive memory stick" option can also be implemented
> with Linux running on the uC, but it indeed shouldn't access the
> memory stick on it's own then.
In case of "external" operation, the platform itself(uC) is not supposed
to access-use the usb device. (In fact, the usb device is a 3G card)
> How is the device connected to the PC? What is between the USB
> connector and the microcontroller? If it's such a nice FTDI serial
> converter, than it's not going to work anyway (without a lot of work).
I was thinking of having the PC connected directly to the
platform(second usb interface). (The first usb interface is for the usb
device itself).

I found a "usb-server" on the net
(http://usb-server.com/usb-redirector-usb-server.html), where you can
access the usb device from network (run the usb-server on the platform
and usb-client on the PC). The bad thing is that some deamons are
pre-built (no-source). My platform is currently x86. Is there any way I
can "recompile" the (dynamically linked)binaries (glibc pre-built) as
static (in order to use them in my fs)?

Thanks,
Dimitris