List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: RES: [uClinux-dev] Connecting GPRS using PPP
From:       Erwin Authried <eauth () softsys ! co ! at>
Date:       2007-04-27 5:39:49

Am Donnerstag, den 26.04.2007, 19:53 -0300 schrieb Roger Feltrin
Escanhola:

> Hi Erwin,
>
> Thanks for helping.
> You were right; I was using the chat in a wrong way.
> Today I made some new tests and I saw that it worked fine.
>
> I used the following command to test:
> pppd ttyS1 115200 noauth defaultroute noipdefault local connect
> "/bin/chat -t 2 -f /var/tmp/chat_script"
> and in the chat_script file I used:
> '' AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","claro.com.br" OK ATD*99***1# CONNECT
>
> I am sure that the modem is receiving the command from the file
> (chat_script) but it doesn't connect GPRS. I believe the problem is the
> authentication process; I need to send the username e the password to
> establish this connection but I don't know how to do this. Any
> suggestion?
>
> I tried the following command:
> pppd ttyS1 115200 auth user claro password claro defaultroute
> noipdefault local connect "/bin/chat -t10 -f /var/tmp/chat_script"
>

> and I got the error message:
> pppd version 2.3.8
> Usage: pppd [ options ]
> See pppd(8) for more options.
> pppd: unrecognized option 'password'
> pppd version 2.3.8
> Usage: pppd [ options ]
> See pppd(8) for more options
>
> I also tried to compile a new kernel image to have the syslog and to see
> what is happing during the connecting, but I don't know how I can have
> this file. Where can I set an option to create this syslog file? In
> which folder it will be created?
You can use syslogd to log messages to some remote server (if you have
an ethernet connection). I don't remember the necessary options right
now, I think it's in the busybox documentation.

You can't give a password on the pppd commandline. If you use pap, you
need a file "/etc/ppp/pap-secrets':

<username> * <password> *

You will need the following options (preferrably in /etc/ppp/options):

#debug ... for debugging only
noauth
local
crtscts
noipdefault
defaultroute
connect <your chat script file>
user <your username, same as in pap-secrets>
usepeerdns

You can start ppp with "pppd ttyS1 &"

Regards,

Erwin