List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] machine_arch_type in head-nommu.S?
From:       Greg Ungerer <gerg () snapgear ! com>
Date:       2007-01-29 6:36:18

Hi Brandon,

Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> The kernel file arch/arm/kernel/head-nommu.S calls
> __lookup_machine_type, which requires r1 to be set to MACH_TYPE_XXXX.
> The current version of the file just uses MACH_TYPE_ARMEL, but it really
> should be a bit more intelligent. It already includes asm/mach-types.h,
> which #define's machine_arch_type, but for some reason machine_arch_type
> isn't actually set to a valid type.
>
> Anybody know how this is supposed to be done?

I recall hacking that in to get the ARMulator working again.

The way this is normally handled on ARM platforms where bootloaders
don't pass in the machine number is to have a code shim that is
prepended to the kernel. And it puts the machine number into r1
and then jumps into the kernel.

Regards
Greg