List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    [uClinux-dev] thread switching response time
From:       "Falk Brettschneider" <falk.brettschneider () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-11-17 11:08:57

Hi,

environment:
uclinux_dist from CVS (10/Okt/2005)
platform: µBlaze,
  (nearly everything disabled in make menuconfig of kernel compiling)
sched-algo: SCHED_RR,
user app with 3 pthreads:
 - thread1-priority=9
 - thread2-priority=8
 - thread3-priority=8 (but blocked on a semaphore)

situation:
thread1 is sleeping in poll_wait() with a timeout of 100ms. Meanwhile
thread2 is heavily calculating infinitely. I expect poll_wait() to expire
after the set 100ms.

problem:
poll_wait() returns 9 to 15 milliseconds too late

question:
What happens during that "long" time? What can I do to have a response in
time (say faster than 1ms)?

Cheers
F@lk

--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl