List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] Setting MAC address
From:       NZG <ngustavson () emacinc ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 14:55:09

> MAC addresses are bound to companies by the IEEE. If someone tampers
> with the device it's just fair if the device is no longer associated
> with the company,
True, but overwriting the MAC shouldn't be something a customer does on
accident. This is why I think it makes more sense to bind the MAC into a
protected bootloader.

If your building an application specific board, where the OS is probably not
going to be modified once it's in the field, then it probably doesn't matter.
But if you building a generic board, then embedding the MAC into the OS is
making it difficult for the customers to change OS's, or upgrade.

If the customer is using the bootloader for reflashing their OS, (which is
safer and cheaper) then they don't have to worry about accidentally
overwriting the MAC.

my two cents.
NZG.