List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    RE: [uClinux-dev] how the watchdog compel torestart thecoldfireMCF5282
From:       "Friedrich, Lars" <lars.friedrich () wago ! com>
Date:       2005-04-28 12:01:23

>> [about user space refresh]
> I think so. I had remove all the user interface and now is a kernel
> driver pure, neither user app needed to refresh the watchdog
> and neither needed load it from rc. I based on the mcfwatchdog.c to
> use kernel timers.

I don't think omitting the user space part is a good idea.
For one, most available watchdog documentation states that
/dev/watchdog exists and how it's used. Even though it might
not be necessary it won't hurt to stick with previous watchdog
implementations, as some day someone will try to follow the
documentation and then bothers others why it doesn't work.

And reason #2 is, you can actually kill the user space and have
a happily running kernel, a situation where you really would like
a reboot.

Best regards,
Lars Friedrich