List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] software watchdog in MCF5272
From:       "Rupesh S" <rupeshs () myw ! ltindia ! com>
Date:       2003-08-29 8:41:12

Hi Greg,

>> Rupesh S wrote:
> > I figure out, mcfwatchdog imlements the watchdog *alive* using a *kernel
> > timer*.
> > Would this be a good solution since the *kernel timers* are *sure* to
> > execute even on a probable *software hang !* ?

> Greg wrote :
> Depends on what you mean by "software hang"?  Do you mean
> the kernel or an application?
>
> I myself mostly use this to catch errant bus cycles which
> hang the bus, and thus stop all software running.

I understand ,mcfwatchdog would takes the system to a *watchdog reset* on a
bus hang.
It also takes the system to a *watchdog timeout*( not a watchdog reset) on a
watchdog timeout interrupt , where a dump(fs) is performed.
Since the *kernel timer* is assured to keep the watchdog *alive* , what will
be a situaion when you come across a *watchdog timeout interrupt* ?

I'm just understanding how to use mcfwatchdog to detect a *kernel software
hang* (not a bus hang).
please advice
rupesh