List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] Elf2Flt questions
From:       David McCullough <davidm () snapgear ! com>
Date:       2003-08-28 22:35:56

Jivin Joe Cotellese lays it down ...
> David McCullough wrote:
>
> >If you are looking at elf2flt at that level,  I would recommend you look
> >to using the "ld" wrapper script that means your don't need to know how
> >to link flat files,  you just add the -Wl,-elf2flt option to your
> >compile line.
> >
> >It takes care of relative linking in the right way to give working flat
> >binaries.
>
> So your saying that I don't want to link using ld and the run it through
> elf2flt? I thought I could use elf2flt to convert my elf if I use the
> supplied linker script when I link. The only reason I ask is that I'm

Well you can if you follow the same steps that the script uses to create
a flat file.  You just can't run elf2flt on an elf file and expect it to
work,  it is not that simple.  You need to link the elf file in the
correct way and call elf2flt with the correct parameters based on the
kind of elf file and flat file you are producing.

The script will show you how to do this and I think there is some doc in
the elf2flt source that gives a simplified description.

> having some problems integrating the script into my development
> environment. If I have to use the supplied script then I'll need to fix
> my development environment.

What sort of dev environment are you using that makes using the script
so hard ?

> >If you get the elf2flt package and look at ld-elf2flt you will see
> >exactly how to create a flat file ;-)
>
> Funny!

But true :-)

Cheers,