List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    [uClinux-dev] JFFS: stdout logged to Flash
From:       "Paul Carpenter" <paul.carpenter () eng ! nciaccess ! com>
Date:       2001-12-28 17:01:21

I am working to get JFFS running on uClinux 2.0.38.1pre7 on an M5272C3
target board.  I believe I am having some success, but have noted some
oddities:  first, I try to copy from the command shell a file from RAMFS
(/var) to the mounted flash JFFS directory, but it doesn't seem to work
properly.  In flash_write() of flash.c module, I can force the data being
written to flash as, for example, 0xa5a5, and the data does appear in flash
as intended.  However, the actual file data doesn't seem to be written to
Flash, at least not where I expect it.  I am wondering if, in the case of
the file data, perhaps the wrong byte of the short int is written to Flash.
In other words, if the data is read from the file as bytes, then written out
to Flash in words, perhaps only the upper byte of the file data read is used
and written to flash?  Whereas when I force the data to be 0xa5a5, the upper
byte does contain expected data, so it appears to work.  I will investigate,
but thought maybe somebody out there has also experienced this?

Another strange thing I've noticed is that in perusing the Flash image file
that I downloaded from the target (using Motorola's CFFlasher utility), I
came across a section of memory in which the ASCII data was apparently a
transcript of some of my command shell activity from a previous session.  It
showed the erase command that I issued to erase a partition in Flash, the
JFFS mount command, and the interaction with an application utility program
that I ran.  All of this output appeared in Flash memory!  Being a newbie to
JFFS, I must ask:  does JFFS automatically log command shell (stdout)
activity?  This is kind of cool, but I would probably want to turn this off,
except in special cases.  It would also seem to further indicate that JFFS
is at least partially working on my target :-)

TIA for any help you may offer!

Paul

Paul Carpenter (Firmware Engineer)
Northern Computers, Inc.