List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    RE: [uClinux-dev] Building on Cygwin
From:       "Banasik, Paul M" <PaulMBanasik () eaton ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 14:00:57

Packages that I am using:

Windows 2000 Professional
Cygwin 1.3.2
XFree86 4.1.0 w/ XFCE 3
uClinux-coldfire-20010529
m68k-elf-tools-20010716
nt-bdm-19990908 (Shoebridge's P&E driver ported to NT/2000)
gdb-4.18, patched with nt-bdm-19990908, to work with P&E cable
gdb-5.00, for use with the gdbserver included in uClinux-coldfire-20010529
hexedit-1.2.1
minicom-1.83.1
David Fiddes' TFTP server

Windows 2000 is already installed on the computer I use at work.  I use all
the usual MS Office apps to work with everyone else around the office.

Cygwin installs just fine, but you need to add an extra line in the startup
batch file ("set CYGWIN=ntea") to more accurately simulate UNIX file
attributes.  Win95 and Win98 will not support this emulation as well, so I
strongly recommend using NT4 or Win2000 to do any uClinux development work.

XFree86 installs ok, but there are three or four scripts and batch files
that need to be adjusted to get the system working smoothly on top of Cygwin
and Windows 2000.

uClinux-coldfire-20010529 untars completely, but reports one error about
utime'ing a file that seems to have no consequence on the build.  I had to
adjust a couple of makefiles to get it to build properly, but it does build
and run perfectly on my M5272C3 eval board.

m68k-elf-tools untars no problem, but compiling all of the tools from
scratch needed some coaxing.  There's a conformance test that gets executed
during the build process, and that causes everything to hang.  Killing the
conformance test allows the build process to continue, and the termination
result from killing the conformance test is actually the right return result
for the Windows2000 platform.  Genromfs and elf2flt needed some adjustments
to compile properly under Cygwin; some header files are not included with
Cygwin that are included with a regular Linux box.  After I got it all to
compile, and I proved to myself that it was working properly, I tar'd all of
the binaries so I won't have to do it again.

nt-bdm-19990908 untars no problem, and installs well.

gdb-4.18 and the patches from nt-bdm-19990908 work fine.

gdb-5.00 untars and compiles no problem; it does communicate with the
gdbserver on my eval board.  This is the debugging setup I will probably use
most of the time (gdbserver and gdb-5.00 over Ethernet link).  I have
compiled ddd-3.3.1 and it does run, but I haven't put much time into
learning how to use it.

Hexedit untars ok and builds fine.  This is a handy tool for viewing file
contents in both hex and ASCII.  It was extremely helpful for viewing my
romfs.img file and discovering that the 'execute' attribute was not set on
my executable files, causing me to go back to Cygwin and add the CYGINW=ntea
line to my batch file.

Minicom untars ok and builds fine.  You can use this in place of
Hyperterminal in Win2000.  It's just a matter of personal preference, but I
used Telix and Procomm for a long time, so I like minicom better than
Hyperterminal.

David Fiddes' TFTP server is a must-have for downloading image files to the
eval board.  The eval board has a small TFTP client on it; by running a
peer-to-peer Ethernet cable to your host and running the TFTP server it is
possible to download code at a relatively quick speed.  I usually can get a
transfer rate of 83kbytes/sec (about a 15-second download).

So that's my setup, and if you choose to duplicate it be aware that there
are some scripts, batch files, and Makefiles that will need tweaking to get
everything to run correctly.  I can do uClinux development work and still
work with everyone else in the office, no problem.  Works for me.

If you want some help with the tweaked files, let me know.  I can post those
tweaks if you want.

I have not tried to build this development environment under Linux; I'm sure
the process goes a little more smoothly (especially building
m68k-elf-tools).  However, if you need to use Windows NT or 2000 to work
with other people, and you want to develop a product using uClinux, Cygwin
seems like a good option.

Paul B.