List:       uclinux-dev
Subject:    Re: [uClinux-dev] Drivers for uclinux
From:       gerg <gerg () lineo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 14:31:09

Hi Simon,

simons@opencores.org wrote:
> I have a general question regarding device drivers for uClinux. Do
> drivers for uclinux without MMU support differ from drivers for linux?

The simple answer is "no".
They work the same, the kernel API's are the same.

What usually causes you trouble when getting standard Linux drivers
going is often the CPU and platform architectural differences. Things
like memory/IO addressing, interrupts and DMA.

> If they do, what is the main difference between them. What steps do I
> have to make, if I want to change a driver for linux to work with
> uClinux.

For simple drivers the addressing and interrupt issue is all that
needs changing. If the hardware/driver uses DMA or bus mastering then
there can be some more involved changes. Lack of VM generally
doesn't cause any problem.

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer  --  Chief Software Wizard          EMAIL:   gerg@lineo.com
Lineo (Integrated Products Group)                PHONE:  +61 7 3279 1822
825 Stanley St,                                    FAX:  +61 7 3279 1820
Woolloogabba, QLD, 4102, Australia                 WEB:    www.lineo.com
This message resent by the uclinux-dev@uclinux.org list server http://www.uClinux.org/