List:       uclinux
Subject:    Re: [UCLINUX] Writable RAM Disk in uCLinux ?
From:       Greg Ungerer <gerg () moreton ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-09-28 0:07:05

Hi Bjorn,

Bjorn Wesen wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Greg Ungerer wrote:
> > > but the question is, is it reliable enough to use as a temporary disk ?
> >
> > Yes. I have used it extensively over that last 8 months for temporary
> > file storage. In particular I use it for syslog style system logging,
> > DHCP temporary files, etc.
>
> ok perfect, that's the same use i want to use it for.
> was this with 2.0.33 or 2.0.38 btw ?

Both. I have been running it on 2.0.38 for a couple of weeks now.
Doesn't seem to be any problems at all.

> > > e2fsprogs work fine, if you want to put an ext2 system on the disk
> >
> > It is not that tools don't exist, it is that they are not _ported_ yet
> > to run natively on uClinux.
>
> i meant that they work fine on the target system for me (a linux port
> very similar to uclinux). i didn't have to change anything in those tools
> except the makefile to make it cross-compile. i've run ext2 harddisks with
> it.
>
> i'm using the full glibc 2.x though - is the porting you refer to, the
> act of making it run using uclinux libc ?

Yes, mostly. It may also mean hacking on any fork()s -- since only the
vfork() system call is supported on uClinux. Sometimes it also means
putting the app on a diet...

I would think e2fsprogs would be pretty simple. They are not
particularly
complex programs...

> > I run ext2 file-systems on RAM disks under uClinux. Its just that those
> > images where created on a PC Linux first, then compressed, and that
> > image
> > stored in the uClinux ROM file-system.
>
> ok. that's one way to do it. hopefully the mke2fs binary is less than the
> compressed image though :)

Well, as a comparison:

    ramfs.img (compressed ext2 fs image)   ---    2791 bytes
    mke2fs (PC Linux binary)               ---   18564 bytes

So it is a nice saving :-)
Off-course it is a real loss in flexibility... :-(

Seeya
Gerg