List:       uclibc
Subject:    Re: Locales strike back
From:       Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-02 20:19:51

On June 2, 2015 6:03:55 PM GMT+02:00, "Jaromír Cápík" <tavvva@seznam.cz> wrote:
Jaromír, your mailer is configured oddly, you insert lots of vertical space, fwiw.

> Well. You can mix two licenses in the sources.   You just need to upload
>
> two separate license files and put a clarification in the sources
> (usually
>
> in the headers). Many projects do that.
>

> I could ask our legal department to get it confirmed.
>

> "> license and therefore you can freely redistribute and modify
> > sources and even binary data.
>
> And if you redistribute binaries without the corresponding sources you
> get a shakedown from the FSF or the Conservancy asking for many
> thousands of dollars."

Anybody can provide a tarball of an old glibc tarball if they use pregenerated \
locales, yes.

> I don't see a problem with re-distributing the glibc sources :]
>
> It might seem a bit odd, but who cares if that works.
>
> Anyway ... in this case it' implicated as the extracting
>
> tools produce derived sources (even when they contain binary
>
> data), but still ... these are derived sources and not directly
>
> re-distributed binaries. This is also a nice question for the
>
> legal department.
>

> "> > and I _really_ didn't want to throw a glibc source tarball in the
> > > uclbic download directory.
> >
> > I don't think you need to.
> ""

We would need to or delete the pregenerated tarball. I'll do the latter for \
simplicity when I'm near a real computer. It's easy to recreate it against a let's \
say glibc-2.19 or .20

> The email is a bit long and I'll have to read the rest later :]

Ideally we would base off the Unicode tables to avoid the whole brittle mess. But \
then that's a lot of work for something (locales) I personally see no real benefit in \
and don't really use although I see that folks seem to use it (for reasons beyond my \
imagination).

Any help to beat locales into reasonable shape is very, very welcome, of course. I \
don't see how I would find time to handle this on myself anytime soon.

So, if you use locales, please share your solutions or attempts.

Thanks and cheers,