List:       uclibc
Subject:    iconv very nearly works!
From:       lists () wildgooses ! com (Ed W)
Date:       2011-10-22 19:44:49

I have enabled the "locale" feature in recent uclibc and using the
patches I referenced in a recent email (would love to see this hit
mainline?) I can successfully built uclibc + iconv *on* a uclibc build
host (which might not be locale enabled).  Wohoo!

Ok, next up, testing iconv vs a glibc system it is surprising close
(again wohoo!).  The persistent bug seems to be that the iconv command
line tool keeps adding a 0x3f character at the front of all conversions
to ISO-8859-1 .. (in fact any ISO-8859-x seem to exhibit this)

Anyone see why?

uclibc # echo -n hello | iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t ISO-8859-1 |hexdump -C
00000000  3f 68 65 6c 6c 6f                                 |?hello|
00000006

I would like to try and give this a bit more awareness - the iconv stuff
does look like it *almost* works! Please give it a whirl and try? We can
potentially eliminate a lot of problems due to libiconv and it's quite
hard to not be handling utf-8 these days (granted you can truncate
up/down to get back to ascii, but point is we can do better)

Cheers

Ed W