List:       uclibc
Subject:    [uClibc] Undefined references to _stdout/_stderr
From:       andersen () codepoet ! org (Erik Andersen)
Date:       2005-05-20 10:58:57

On Tue May 17, 2005 at 01:39:22PM -0400, Jeremy Redburn wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> First off, thanks much for all your great work on uClibc -- everything
> I've seen to this point is fantastic. I am currently trying to compile
> LAME (an mp3 encoder) using the toolchain. At the moment, I am
> getting the following error:
>
> /usr/local/blackfin/lib/gcc/bfin-elf/3.4.1/../../../../bfin-elf/bin/ld.real:
> warning: cannot find entry symbol start; defaulting to 00000000
> main.o(.text+0xfe): In function `_init_files':
> main.c: undefined reference to `_stderr'

First, you seem to be trying to use the blackfin ld to link your
final application.  Typically, gcc performs the final link so it
can merge in things like crt1.o, which provides the _start
symbol.

Secondly, I am not sure how you are compiling things (since you
omitted that part in your email) but I suspect you are either
using the wrong set of C library header files, or you are in fact
trying to use '_stderr' directly within your code.  Either way,
something is horribly broken, and it is pretty much certain that
broken something is not uClibc.

 -Erik