List:       ubuntu-users
Subject:    Re: Network Accessible Hard Drive
From:       Little Girl <littlergirl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-04-27 19:15:36

Hey there,

Ian Bruntlett wrote:

>I also do backups with ext4 and external drives. I have found that
>some/all(?) ext4 drives I have reserved a certain percentage of
>space for use only by privileged processes. I find that to use up
>all of the space as a normal user, I have to use the -m option of
>the tune2fs command to set " reserved-blocks-percentage". I find
>that business fiddly and so I won't be listing any example commands,
>sorry...

Interesting. You're definitely more advanced than I am when it comes
to that. I don't know enough about partitioning or formatting to do
anything special or fancy with my drives. I just make sure and get
big enough drives that they'll hold all of my files and then some.
Each external drive also only gets one complete backup on it.

Last, but not least, I guess we didn't end up going into detail about
what kind of mediums use, specifically. I bought internal SSDs and
use those inside of enclosures to turn them into external drives to
put backups onto.

Each of my drives was given a name and is recognized by its name in
my system when I connect it. My backup program (Grsync) has different
profiles that I configured for each of the drives by using their
names. I plug in a drive, fire up Grsync, choose that drive's
profile, run a simulation backup, examine its output to make sure I'm
happy (with my main interest being in deletions), and then run the
actual backup.

I've got some USB sticks, but none of them are big enough for my
backups and are, thus, just used for quickly moving small amounts of
data from one location to another (like when you're going somewhere
and want to bring some files with you, but not everything) or putting
Ubuntu/Kubuntu ISO files onto for installation purposes.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.